Sunday, March 11, 2012

Using Chickens as my Pest Control Cops this Year?

Prissy, Penny and Peck are laying an egg a day now that the daylight hours have hit ten or more in the Alabama early springtime.  The weather is warmer that it needs to be.  We had a wet and warm winter with very few days below freezing.  This means that bugs will be in excess since weather is a key controller of insects in our area.  I'm thinking about enclosing the raised beds in the chicken yard.  I have three very hard working and hungry chickens who are about the best bug control I have.  If they peck a ripe tomato trying to get off a ugly worm, so what?  They have just eliminated one of the worse pests to the home garden.  I've heard it works if one is willing to sacrifice some produce in return for their bug hunting abilities.  Serious thought is being given to it.  I think it would work.

No comments:

Post a Comment