Saturday, March 3, 2012

Glorious Beautiful Day after Storms

Today is a beautiful day; the bad weather from yesterday is gone.  Our house and animals are fine and the cluck club are safe in their chicken yard.  Other homeowners and farmers in the area are not so fortunate.  There were several tornadoes around us yesterday.  My work dismissed about 10:00 a.m. but I was unable to get on the road because the roads to my house were blocked due to emergency vehicles trying to assess damage.  It was scary; it is always scary when bad weather happens.

On the sunny side today.  I put together the galvanized steel raised vegetable beds and secured both with stakes into the ground before the storms hit.  These are really, really big vegetable beds, 3 ft x 6 ft by 10 in, and I know I do not have enough compost yet to fill both.  This is where ingenuity will help.  I do have an electric mulching lawnmower and I purposely did not rake/burn leaves this fall.  So I will be gathering more organic matter this month along with the overwintered chicken house pine mulch that should be hot and ready for the beds.   The beds will empty my compost pile as well.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll have just enough to fill both beds before I need to plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment