Wednesday, January 11, 2012

More spring time planning

I've decided on a rooster.  Finally, after two years I found a rooster that I'm willing to bring into our farm life.  It will be a day old chick and delivered about March 19th.  Its name will be Fred.  Fred the Rooster will actually be Fred the Roosters.  I have ordered a straight run, which means about a 50/50 mix of hens to roosters.  With the minimum run of 8, I will likely have 4 roosters and 4 hens.  This is fine since predators will take over half the new flock.  My plan is to put the young cockerel in with the 3 older hens once he is old enough to withstand their dominant personalities.  Hens without a rooster tend toward the bossy side.  At least one of the hens will take on male characteristics.  Penny, my beauty Sussex hen, is the most rooster-like.

I have accepted that roosters are necessary for the health of a flock.  Roosters will often turn away a predator, sometimes sacrificing his life for the hens.  I also plan to raise babies and then begin to encourage the best characteristics for my little farm flock.  I need quiet, friendly, egg-productive birds.

My Dad used to bring home fighting roosters and release them to forage for themselves.  This meant turning a corner of the house and coming face to spurs with the rooster attacking you and then running like crazy to escape it.  Once I had had enough.  I mean, come on, can't I go outside in peace?  So I beat that rooster until its wattle and comb were black and it was on the ground with its eyes closed.  I was certain I had killed it.  Nope, it got up and wobbled away to live another day.  I believe we finally did put it to good use by eating it (sorry to offend any vegans but it was one mean, ornery rooster!)

Anyway, my memories of roosters made me very hesitant to introduce any here at 2-Dog Farm.  Keeping my fingers crossed that Fred will be a worthy addition to our Farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment