Thursday, January 12, 2012

Auburn University Beekeeping Symposium

My dearest hubby and I are motoring down to Auburn University to attend a day long symposium for beekeepers.  I can't wait to hear about the honey bee's evolving role in the green movement, to get more information about Alabama's new master beekeeper program, to understand the role of bee colonies and have a sustainable backyard (bluff for me) where bees play a vital role.  Plus I get to pick the brains of some of the state's best entomologists and plant pathologists.  Can't wait.

In the meantime, I've placed my spring order for new bees and their queen.  Instead of an Italian honeybee queen, I've ordered an American hybrid called All American Queen.  I've also broken a "rule" of the local beekeeping society by ordering my bees out of state:  Draper's Bees.  We'll see.  The last ones failed to clean their hives soon enough to eliminate the cells infected with foulbrood. I'm hoping this hybrid will do a better job.  From the Draper web site, here is their description of their All American Queens:  Gentle, do not boil out of the hive when it is opened, low swarming tendency, quick build up of the hive, adapted to all weather conditions, keep a very clean, neat and orderly hive.

No comments:

Post a Comment