Saturday, June 4, 2011

To goat or not to goat for dairy

Part of the self sufficient life style that I'm wanting to attain includes making goat cheese and other goat diary products like milk.  I have a time commitment issue to resolve as goats take more time than say chickens and they are more habitat needy.  I do not have an enclosed protected area for milking and I am not particularly fond of working outside in the dark and cold, which I would have to do without an enclosed protected area.  Goats require a diet that is fresh and readily available so there is some expense to maintaining a herd of does and their offspring.  Then there is the issue of culling the herd as goats become less productive.  A chicken is a bit easier to manage for meat than a goat.  Quite a size difference and could I do it without help and get the meat saved before it spoils.  So many considerations.  Taking it slow in deciding whether to get goats or not.
Dairy Goat Breed Standards

No comments:

Post a Comment