Monday, April 23, 2012

Chickens Update

My oldest daughter was home for a visit.  She lives in Japan currently where her husband is a sailor for the U.S. Navy.  While she was home the chicks arrived.  There was one dead on arrival and then two more died within the next 48 hours.  I don't know why.  The remaining five are thriving and their pin feathers are getting longer and they look less like fluffy chicks and more like young chickens.  There is a brief cute fuzzy stage for chicks where you look at them and just go "AWWWWW".  They are beyond that now.  I believe I have two Freds and three Henriettas.

My niece, Jima, put together the Ware chicken house and run for me.  I am very impressed with how easy it was for a pregnant woman to put together by herself.  She put it together in less than 4 hours and I was able to move it from its staging location, our carport, to its permanent location in the new pasture I created for the older hens, Pick, Prissy and Penney.  The new chicken house was a bargain at PetCo's online store and was about two-third the cost of the one I bought from My Pet Chicken.

I need to scrub the older coop and recondition it for the younger chickens.  I will need to separate the younger chicks from the older ones for a bit before pasturing them together.  Flock dynamics.

Pictures of everything soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment