Friday, February 10, 2012

Happy Birthday to Me!

I am 56 years old tomorrow, 2/11/2012.  This is the first year without my Dad and Step Mom.  We always celebrated at Red Lobster (they loved Red Lobster!).  My Step-Mom, Polly, was born 1/7/1936; Dad was born 1/21/1926 and I was born 2/11/1956: we were 20 years and 30 years apart.  What nice round numbers!

I miss them but I wouldn't wish them back for anything in the world.  God bless them and I love them so much. If memories are forever, then I have many, many years of wonderful and loving birthdays to remember.

The last birthday we spent together, I stopped by Red Lobster and ordered our birthday meal to go.  Dad ate very little.  He was already in his rapid death decline.  He said he could have the rest of it for his next meal.  In actuality, he never finished it.  Mom enjoyed her shrimp very much.  My brother and sister and her hubby joined us and we pulled chairs in from the florida room to eat on.  Mom and Dad were both pretty much confined to the living room couch at this point and we wanted to eat with them.  The TV was on and it was the ever present Bonanza that was Mom's favorite show.  She watched back to back episodes whenever they were on.  It was a sweet birthday.

Three years prior to this birthday, we all met at Red Lobster for lunch.  Dad, Mom and my hubby all got some type of flu sitting there.  By the time we left, all three were running high temperatures and had body aches.  That was not a great birthday.

Five years ago my Dad and Step Mom were in much better health and we met for our birthdays at Red Lobster.  Dad flirted with the waitress, Mom chastised him for being a dirty old man and we laughed and joked and had a wonderful meal.

Maybe I'll go to Red Lobster for dinner this weekend.  I'll have Dad and Mom with me, in my head.  It will be lovely

No comments:

Post a Comment