Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Church Singings in the South

One of my earliest memories is attending the "singings" on Friday or Saturday nights at my Granny Brown's church.  We had to bathe in the kitchen with a pan of water filled by using the water hand pump.  Granny didn't have an inside bathroom yet or running water.  My unmarried Aunties would be giggly about who might be there at the church that night.  Granny would shush all of us and get us moving in one direction out the door.  We would pile into whatever car or truck worked at the moment and drive the short distance to their church.  If the electricity died, as it sometimes did back in those days, someone would pull their old truck around to the front doors and shine the truck lights into the sanctuary so the show could go on.  There was always a "love" offering.  I could never figure out exactly what that was.  Refreshing water was at the back of the church and we all sipped from a communal dipper.  Here is one old time song  that I've enjoyed recently that brought this memory out to share with you:  The Cox Family - I am Weary, Let Me Rest .

No comments:

Post a Comment