Saturday, July 2, 2011

Booger.

I ordered a broody hen containment system from Hayneedle for 79.98 <.http://www.hayneedle.com/Ware Premium Backyard Hutc>.  It looks just like our hen house - cedar tee-pee style.  And I ordered six fertile Easter eggs for our broody hen to hatch.
Fertile easter eggers from My Pet Chicken


Unfortunately, the containment system is on back order but I received the fertile eggs.  What to do?

Improvise.  Necessity is the mother of inventions.  I needed to get the broody hen out of the nest the other hens use for egg-laying duties and into her own area.  I used what I had on hand, an old wire dog crate, poultry wire under the bottom, newspapers over that and a basket turned on its side and then some pine bedding and a tarp to keep the hot Bama sun off them mid-day.  Ta-Da!

The new incubation and containment system
Now what would the broody hen and her sisters think of it?  

H'mmm, I don't remember leaving these eggs here.
Maybe.  We'll see what tomorrow brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment